On August 19, 2021, Baidu announced an upcoming upgrade to its Beacon Algorithm, aimed at addressing issues related to the ‘Back Button’ functionality on websites. This initiative is in response to user complaints about the back button not working as expected, which impairs the search experience.
The Beacon Algorithm’s Focus:
- The upgraded Beacon Algorithm will expand its scope and increase control measures against sites where the back button is ineffective.
- This upgrade reflects Baidu’s commitment to ensuring a seamless and user-friendly browsing experience.
Common Back Button Issues:
- No Response: Users are unable to go back, leaving them stuck on the current page.
- Unexpected Redirections: The back button redirects users to the homepage or a list page, not the previously viewed page.
- Low-Quality Redirects: Clicking the back button leads to low-quality pages like ads, adult content, or unvisited promotional pages.
- Baidu urges developers to conduct self-inspections in line with the “Website Hijacking Troubleshooting Guide” to ensure proper back button functionality.
- The issue may stem from third-party code anomalies or developer errors.
Further Reading and Community Engagement:
- Articles on Baidu’s efforts against site hijacking and the launch of Beacon Algorithm 2.0.
- Invitation for discussions in webmaster community forums about troubleshooting and optimizing the back button feature.
Conclusion: Baidu’s Beacon Algorithm upgrade is a significant step towards refining the browsing experience and maintaining the integrity of search results. It highlights the importance of technical excellence and user-centric design in web development.
We encourage readers to share their experiences and solutions regarding back button functionality on websites, particularly in light of Baidu’s latest algorithm update.